South Korea blames North Korea for cyber attack
Seoul: North Korea is to blame for last month`s cyber attacks on the websites of South Korean media companies and the president and prime minister`s offices, a South Korean investigation concluded on Tuesday.
South Korea`s ministry of science said it was blaming North Korea based on analysis of codes, Internet addresses and personal computers used to launch the attacks. The attacks occurred June 25, the 63rd anniversary of the beginning of the Korean War.
It is the latest of several cyber attacks in recent years that Seoul blames on North Korea. Pyongyang has denied previous claims and has accused the US and South Korea of a cyber attack in March that shut down its own websites for two days.
The South Korean government-led team of investigators said the online assaults were planned for several months, and the attackers hacked file-sharing websites in South Korea to find security weaknesses.
An investigator told reporters that the attackers tried to steal personal information from the websites targeted in the June 25 cyber attacks, but it was not clear when the attempt took place.
Local media reported that the personal information of millions of people was stolen from the presidential office`s website and the ruling party.
Investigators managed to recover data on the hard drives that the attackers destroyed June 25 and found an Internet protocol address that was used by North Korea.
They also found that the codes used in the June attacks had the same features as the codes used in the larger March 20 cyber attacks that shut down tens of thousands of computers at South Korean broadcasters and banks.
The attackers in June tried to hide their identities by destroying hard drives and disguising the Internet protocol addresses they used, the ministry said. The attackers also tried to misguide investigators by using the picture of the Anonymous group, the ministry said.
Local media reported in June that the attack was done by a global hacking collective called Anonymous. But a South Korean government official told the Associated Press at the time that the attackers could not be confirmed at the moment.
The ministry said the June 25 attacks hit 69 government and private companies` websites and servers.
Earlier this month, cyber security firms said the hackers behind the March attacks also have been trying to steal South Korean and US military secrets with a malicious set of codes they`ve been sending through the Internet for years. They did not specifically blame North Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs