South Korea develops air defence vehicle
Seoul: South Korea`s arms procurement agency said Friday that it completed development of a multi-purpose air defence vehicle with guided missiles based on indigenous technology.
The 30mm caliber air defence system was developed by combining the existing self-propelled gun vehicle called Biho with the portable ground-to-air guided missile named Shingung, Xinhua quoted the Defence Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA).
The system development was launched in 2010, led by local defence companies such as Doosan Defense Systems and Technology, Samsung Thales and LIG Nex1.
The DAPA said the system modernized the existing self-propelled guns developed in 1980s, while enhancing combat capabilities by integrating longer-range guided missiles that can strike aircraft flying at a low altitude.
The self-propelled gun was known to have a range of 3 km, with the surface-to-air guided missile having a range of 7 km.
The multi-purpose air defence vehicle planned to be mass-produced next year, before being deployed to troops in 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her