South Korea develops cruise missile: Reports
Seoul: South Korea has developed a
long-range cruise missile capable of striking nuclear sites
and military targets in North Korea, news reports said today.
The Hyunmu-3C missile has a range of 930 miles (1,500
kilometres), the Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported, citing the
August edition of its sister magazine Monthly Chosun.
The new missile, if confirmed, would be the longest-range
weapon in South Korea`s arsenal. Missile-range limits have
been agreed upon under an accord with the US, which has cited
concerns over a possible regional arms race.
The surface-to-surface missile will be deployed along the
border with North Korea beginning this year, the newspaper
said. It has a 990-pound (450-kilogram) payload and can hit
within 2 yards (meters) of its target, the report said.
Despite the agreement with the US, South Korea can
develop long-range cruise missiles as long as the payload is
under 1,100 pounds (500 kilograms).
The Hyunmu-3C missile would also have the capability of
hitting parts of China, Japan and Russia.
Yonhap news agency carried a similar story. Both reports
cited unidentified military officials.
A spokesman for the Defense Acquisition Program
Administration said he could neither confirm nor deny the
reports. He spoke on condition of anonymity citing policy. A
Defense Ministry spokesman was not immediately available for
North Korea already has long-range missiles. The
Taepodong-2 has a potential range of more than 4,100 miles
(6,700 kilometres), putting Alaska within striking distance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price