South Korea develops cruise missile: Reports
Seoul: South Korea has developed a
long-range cruise missile capable of striking nuclear sites
and military targets in North Korea, news reports said today.
The Hyunmu-3C missile has a range of 930 miles (1,500
kilometres), the Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported, citing the
August edition of its sister magazine Monthly Chosun.
The new missile, if confirmed, would be the longest-range
weapon in South Korea`s arsenal. Missile-range limits have
been agreed upon under an accord with the US, which has cited
concerns over a possible regional arms race.
The surface-to-surface missile will be deployed along the
border with North Korea beginning this year, the newspaper
said. It has a 990-pound (450-kilogram) payload and can hit
within 2 yards (meters) of its target, the report said.
Despite the agreement with the US, South Korea can
develop long-range cruise missiles as long as the payload is
under 1,100 pounds (500 kilograms).
The Hyunmu-3C missile would also have the capability of
hitting parts of China, Japan and Russia.
Yonhap news agency carried a similar story. Both reports
cited unidentified military officials.
A spokesman for the Defense Acquisition Program
Administration said he could neither confirm nor deny the
reports. He spoke on condition of anonymity citing policy. A
Defense Ministry spokesman was not immediately available for
North Korea already has long-range missiles. The
Taepodong-2 has a potential range of more than 4,100 miles
(6,700 kilometres), putting Alaska within striking distance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof