South Korea develops mid-range GPS-guided bombs
Seoul: South Korea has developed bombs equipped with a global positioning system capable of targeting distant enemies day and night, the state arms development agency said on Monday.
The Agency for Defence Development and 20 defence firms, including LIG Nex1, jointly developed the 225-kilogram guided bomb with a 40 billion won (about $378 million) budget over the last five years to improve the combat capabilities of fighter jets.
"The Korea GPS-guided bomb shows that South Korea is capable of developing a weapons system for its fighters with its own technology," Lee Dae Yeol, a senior researcher at the ADD, was quoted as saying, reported Yonhap News Agency.
The GPS-guided bombs to be installed in fighter jets can hit enemies hidden behind obstacles at long range 24 hours a day, the agency said, adding that they were deployed on some fighters from late last year, the report said.
The advanced weapon system is expected to allow aged combat jets, including F-4 and F-5 jets, to better strike intended targets, the ADD said, without specifying its missile range.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened