South Korea dismisses North Korea`s criticism
Seoul: South Korea on Monday dismissed North Korea`s criticism of last Friday`s joint military exercises with the United States.
"The military exercises have been held regularly and North Korea has nothing to mention about," South Korea`s Unification Ministry spokesman Kim Hyung Seok said in a news briefing.
Kim was commenting on a North Korean statement issued on Sunday, in which the North said the United States "committed another grave provocative act of violating the sovereignty and dignity of the DPRK”, referring to North Korea by its official name, the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea.
The statement, issued by a Foreign Ministry spokesman and carried by the Korean Central News Agency, mentioned a major live-fire drill near South Korea`s border area with the North to mark the 62nd anniversary of the start of the Korean War.
The drill, the largest ever since the end of 1950-1953 Korean War, was held at a shooting range in Pocheon near the Demilitarised Zone between the two Koreas.
"On June 22, the US imperialist aggression troops in South Korea staged the largest-ever joint live firing drill in the area south of the Demilitarised Zone together with the Lee Myung Bak group of traitors and perpetrated such reckless act as firing at the DPRK flag," the statement said.
"It is an extremely grave military action and politically motivated provocation to fire live bullets and shells at the flag of a sovereign state without a declaration of war," it said. (Kyodo)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!