South Korea `doubts` North has nuclear-armed missile
Seoul: South Korea`s Defence Ministry said on Friday it doubted North Korea had the ability to launch a nuclear-armed ballistic missile as claimed in a report by the US military spy agency.
"North Korea has conducted three nuclear tests, but it is still doubtful that North Korea has made a small, light warhead that can be mounted on a missile," ministry spokesman Kim Min-Seok told reporters.
But Kim added that the North was "getting to that stage" where it could miniaturise a warhead for missile deployment.
He was reacting to the findings of the US Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) that stated Pyongyang could be capable of launching a nuclear warhead, albeit an unpredictable one.
The alarming assessment, revealed by a US lawmaker at a congressional hearing, came as tensions on the Korean peninsula mounted over an expected missile launch by Pyongyang in the coming days.
In his briefing, Kim stressed there had been no discernible build-up or movement of North Korea`s armed forces in recent days.
"There is no great change," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing