South Korea `doubts` North has nuclear-armed missile
Seoul: South Korea`s Defence Ministry said on Friday it doubted North Korea had the ability to launch a nuclear-armed ballistic missile as claimed in a report by the US military spy agency.
"North Korea has conducted three nuclear tests, but it is still doubtful that North Korea has made a small, light warhead that can be mounted on a missile," ministry spokesman Kim Min-Seok told reporters.
But Kim added that the North was "getting to that stage" where it could miniaturise a warhead for missile deployment.
He was reacting to the findings of the US Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) that stated Pyongyang could be capable of launching a nuclear warhead, albeit an unpredictable one.
The alarming assessment, revealed by a US lawmaker at a congressional hearing, came as tensions on the Korean peninsula mounted over an expected missile launch by Pyongyang in the coming days.
In his briefing, Kim stressed there had been no discernible build-up or movement of North Korea`s armed forces in recent days.
"There is no great change," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’