South Korea fires shots to warn North fishing boat
Seoul: South Korea`s navy fired warning shots to drive away a North Korean fishing vessel that crossed their tense maritime border on Wednesday, the South`s military said.
Ties between the rival Koreas sank to their lowest level in decades after a South Korean navy ship was torpedoed in the same area off the west coast in March killing 46 sailors. Seoul accuses the North for the attack but Pyongyang denies it.
Ten shots were fired in warning after repeated loudspeaker broadcasts ordering the North Korean vessel to retreat, said an officer at South Korea`s office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
It was not clear why the vessel crossed the Northern Limit Line (NLL) early on Wednesday and why it remained in southern waters for nearly two hours, the officer said.
North Korea disputes the sea border which was drawn by the United Nations Command at the end of 1950-53 Korean War.
The waters off the west coast have been the scene of deadly naval skirmishes in the past that have killed sailors on both sides.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata