South Korea joins rash of nations strongly opposing China`s new air-defence zone
Islamabad: South Korea has reportedly expressed dissent over China`s new air-defence identification zone over the East China Sea that has concerned Japan and the US and raised regional tensions.
Vice Defence Minister Baek Seung-Joo expressed Seoul`s `strong regret` at China`s unilateral announcement of the zone over an area that includes a South Korean-controlled rock and Tokyo-administered islands.
Defence ministry spokesman Kim Min-Seok said that China`s latest move was heightening military tension in the region, Dawn reports.
According to the report, Japan, South Korea and the United States have rejected China`s demand that all aircraft traversing the new zone file flight plans and identification details.
However, military planes of the US, Japan and South Korea have flown through the area without complying, after the rules were announced and were not opposed as China has threatened of `defensive emergency measures` against any aircraft that flouts the rules.
Baek stressed that Seoul could not recognise the zone and demanded that China revise its parameters, particularly a section that overlaps with South Korea`s own Air Defence Identification Zone (ADIZ).
Kim further said that the South Korean side would have to consider expanding its own ADIZ to protect its national interests, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?