South Korea names crisis chief to boost defence against North
Seoul: South Korean President Lee Myung-bak named on Friday a retired general to head a newly created office for national crisis management as two attacks from North Korea this year raised tension on the peninsula.
The office was set up this month in response to questions over whether the South was prepared to defend itself against surprise attacks by the North after it shelled a southern island last month killing four people.
Lee also named a trusted economic aide as minister for knowledge economy in charge of industrial and energy policy and a political ally the minister for culture. Lee is about to start the final two years of his single five-year term.
The head of the crisis management office is retired Major General An Kwang-chan. He previously served as the Defence Ministry`s policy planning chief and at the Combined Forces Command made up of US and South Korean militaries that organise defensive operations against the North.
South Korea said on Thursday the immediate threat from the North had grown with Pyongyang deploying 20,000 more special warfare troops near the border and adding tanks to its mechanised divisions.
South Korea reinstated its "enemy" designation for the North this year after having dropped it in 2000. South Korea and its allies blamed the North for torpedoing a South Korean Navy ship in March killing 46 sailors.
The November bombardment of a South Korean island by North Korean artillery units sharply escalated tension and the South vowed to deal "a merciless counterattack" in the event of more North Korean aggression.
Analysts said the chance of a wider conflict had grown as tension mounted, but many do not expect the rival Koreas to engage in an all-out war.
The new minister for knowledge economy is Choi Joong-kyung, while Choung Byoung-gug in minister for culture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy