South Korea on alert after North Korean N-test
Seoul: The South Korean government condemned the nuclear test by North Korea Tuesday, calling it a "clear violation" of UN resolutions. The South Korean military was put on high alert.
"North Korea will not be able to avoid being held accountable for (the test)," national security adviser Chun Yung-Woo told reporters after an emergency security meeting presided over by President Lee Myung-bak.
The nuclear test, which North Korea claimed was successful, was carried out at 11.57 a.m. in North Korea`s Kilju county, North Hamkyung province.
An artificial earthquake with a magnitude of 4.9 was detected from the town, where the North Korean nuclear test facility is located.
South Korea`s military was immediately put on heightened alert to deter potential cross-border provocations, while the South Korean and US forces upgraded their border surveillance level.
The South Korean defence ministry is keeping an eye on developments in North Korea to monitor potential signs of additional nuclear or missile tests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information