South Korea on alert after North Korean N-test
Seoul: The South Korean government condemned the nuclear test by North Korea Tuesday, calling it a "clear violation" of UN resolutions. The South Korean military was put on high alert.
"North Korea will not be able to avoid being held accountable for (the test)," national security adviser Chun Yung-Woo told reporters after an emergency security meeting presided over by President Lee Myung-bak.
The nuclear test, which North Korea claimed was successful, was carried out at 11.57 a.m. in North Korea`s Kilju county, North Hamkyung province.
An artificial earthquake with a magnitude of 4.9 was detected from the town, where the North Korean nuclear test facility is located.
South Korea`s military was immediately put on heightened alert to deter potential cross-border provocations, while the South Korean and US forces upgraded their border surveillance level.
The South Korean defence ministry is keeping an eye on developments in North Korea to monitor potential signs of additional nuclear or missile tests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH