close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

South Korea to blame North for torpedoing warship

South Korea will formally blame North Korea for launching a torpedo that sank a South Korean warship in March, killing 46 sailors.



Washington: South Korea will formally blame
North Korea for launching a torpedo that sank a South Korean
warship in March, killing 46 sailors, The Washington Post
reported, citing US and East Asian officials.

The officials told the newspaper that an investigation
found that the torpedo was identical to a North Korean torpedo
that had previously been obtained by South Korea.

The Chenoen sank in the Yellow Sea March 26 after being
ripped in two by an explosion that killed 46 South Korean
sailors.

Pieces of the warship were put together by investigators
from Australia, Britain, Sweden and the United States at the
port of Pyongtaek, 65 km west of Seoul.

The Post said South Korea will formally blame North Korea
today and ask the UN Security Council to take up the issue,
pressing for a tightening of sanctions on Pyongyang.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak will also ask the
United States to delay for several years a plan to pass
wartime operational control over all forces in South Korea
from the United States to the South Korean military, the
report said.

The Pentagon declined to comment on the report and the US
State Department said they would wait for the end of the
investigation before weighing in.

PTI

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video


WION FEATURES

A wearable sticker that can prevent sexual assault

Neymar set to move to Paris Saint Germain

Council in Pakistan orders Revenge Rape of a 16-Year-Old

Photographing the world from a plane

Indian female cops are out in full force to protect women

Delhi's Mini Afghanistan: Far from war, these Afghanis have found their home in India