South Korea troops kill man trying to swim to North
Seoul: South Korean troops shot dead a man trying to swim across a border river into North Korea on Monday after he ignored warnings, a defence ministry spokesman said.
"He jumped into the Imjin river ignoring repeated warnings to stop by South Korean soldiers," the spokesman told a news agency. "The soldiers opened fire and his body has been retrieved."
The spokesman said the man was believed to be trying to defect to the North, but added that his identity had yet to be confirmed.
The shooting incident is highly unusual, and attempted defections from South to North Korea are rare.
The Imjin river forms part of South Korea`s western land border with North Korea and the incident took place some 40 kilometres north of Seoul.
There was no immediate reaction from North Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'