South Korea unveils nuke deterrence plan to check North
Moscow: South Korean defence ministry has unveiled a new plan of "active deterrence", allowing it to pre-emptively strike its northern neighbor, in case it detects any sign of an imminent nuclear or missile attack.
The plan was unveiled by Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin during an annual policy briefing to President Park Geun-hye amid escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula, Yonhap reported Monday.
The minister said the military "will build an attack system to swiftly neutralise North Korea`s nuclear and missile threats, while significantly improving our military`s surveillance and reconnaissance capability".
The ministry is also set to deploy its "kill chain" missile defence system ahead of schedule. The system, capable of detecting, targeting and destroying North Korean nuclear and missile targets, was due to be launched in 2015.
Tensions between the West and North Korea reached new heights after Pyongyang threatened to unleash military action this week in response to drills by thousands of US and South Korean troops across the border that were intended as a show of force.
The South Korean president Park Geun-hye said Monday her country would "take decisive measures in case of any provocation from the North, regardless of political consequences."
On Saturday, North Korea said it had entered "a state of war" against South Korea, which once again escalated tensions on the Koran Peninsula after Pyongyang conducted its third nuclear test Feb 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?