South Korea unveils nuke deterrence plan to check North
Moscow: South Korean defence ministry has unveiled a new plan of "active deterrence", allowing it to pre-emptively strike its northern neighbor, in case it detects any sign of an imminent nuclear or missile attack.
The plan was unveiled by Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin during an annual policy briefing to President Park Geun-hye amid escalating tensions on the Korean Peninsula, Yonhap reported Monday.
The minister said the military "will build an attack system to swiftly neutralise North Korea`s nuclear and missile threats, while significantly improving our military`s surveillance and reconnaissance capability".
The ministry is also set to deploy its "kill chain" missile defence system ahead of schedule. The system, capable of detecting, targeting and destroying North Korean nuclear and missile targets, was due to be launched in 2015.
Tensions between the West and North Korea reached new heights after Pyongyang threatened to unleash military action this week in response to drills by thousands of US and South Korean troops across the border that were intended as a show of force.
The South Korean president Park Geun-hye said Monday her country would "take decisive measures in case of any provocation from the North, regardless of political consequences."
On Saturday, North Korea said it had entered "a state of war" against South Korea, which once again escalated tensions on the Koran Peninsula after Pyongyang conducted its third nuclear test Feb 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?