South Korea, US to set up combined Army division
Seoul: South Korea and the US have agreed to establish a combined Army division in 2015, Seoul`s Defence Ministry said on Thursday.
According to the ministry, the combined division will be composed of the US 2nd infantry division stationed in Uijeongbu and a South Korean brigade-level unit, Xinhua reported.
It would be the first time that the US military will set up a combined Army unit with troops of another country.
The Army unit will be led by a US major general, with a South Korean brigadier general named as an assistant division commander.
Choi Yun-hee, the chairman of South Korea`s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), and US Forces Korea (USFK) Commander General Curtis Scaparrotti have recently agreed to set up the unit to strengthen the defence posture of combined forces at a tactical level, the ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok