South Korea, US to set up combined Army division
Seoul: South Korea and the US have agreed to establish a combined Army division in 2015, Seoul`s Defence Ministry said on Thursday.
According to the ministry, the combined division will be composed of the US 2nd infantry division stationed in Uijeongbu and a South Korean brigade-level unit, Xinhua reported.
It would be the first time that the US military will set up a combined Army unit with troops of another country.
The Army unit will be led by a US major general, with a South Korean brigadier general named as an assistant division commander.
Choi Yun-hee, the chairman of South Korea`s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), and US Forces Korea (USFK) Commander General Curtis Scaparrotti have recently agreed to set up the unit to strengthen the defence posture of combined forces at a tactical level, the ministry said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened