South Korea, US upgrade surveillance status: Report
Seoul: South Korea and the United States upgraded their coordinated military surveillance status on Wednesday, a report said, ahead of an expected mid-range missile launch by North Korea.
The Combined Forces Command raised the "Watchcon" status from 3 to 2 reflecting indications of a "vital threat", Yonhap said, citing a senior military official.
Watchcon 4 is in effect during normal peacetime, while Watchcon 3 reflects indications of an important threat. Watchcon 1 is used in wartime.
Pyongyang is believed to have moved two Musudan missiles to its east coast last week by rail and mounted them on mobile launchers.
South Korean intelligence says the North has completed preparations for the expected missile test -- possibly to coincide with April 15 celebrations for the birthday of late founder Kim Il-Sung.
In a separate report, Yonhap quoted a government source as saying Pyongyang might be preparing a multiple test, after other launch vehicles were reportedly detected carrying shorter-range SCUD and Rodong missiles.
"There are growing signs of the North preparing to launch multiple missiles," the source said.
The Korean peninsula has been locked in a cycle of escalating military tensions since the North`s third nuclear test in February, which drew toughened UN sanctions.
Pyongyang`s bellicose rhetoric has reached fever pitch in recent weeks, with near-daily threats of attacks on US military bases and South Korea in response to ongoing South Korean-US military exercises.
Japan, where the armed forces have been authorised to shoot down any North Korean missile headed towards its territory, said Tuesday it had deployed Patriot missiles in its capital as a pre-emptive defence measure.
A top US military commander said Tuesday that he favoured shooting down a North Korean missile only if it threatened the United States or Washington`s allies in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town