South Korean police stop anti-North leaflet launch
Seoul: The South Korean police on Saturday stopped a planned launch of anti-North Korea leaflets across the border, an activist said, as Seoul seeks to open dialogue and defuse soaring tensions with Pyongyang.
The move came as the North issued a fresh threat to bomb any site where leaflets are launched as it accused Seoul of stirring the crisis which has engulfed the Korean peninsula ever since Pyongyang conducted a rocket test last December and a nuclear test in February.
Five activists travelling in a pick-up truck loaded with 100,000 leaflets were surrounded by some 70 policemen near a hill in the northwestern city of Gimpo after which their vehicle was forcibly towed to the local police station.
"The police told us not to send such leaflets in the lead to April 15", the birthday of North Korea`s late founder Kim Il-Sung which the North celebrates as one of its most important national holidays, activist Park Sang-Hak said.
Police have never before blocked such a launch without previously announcing their intentions in the media, Park said, adding that his group have launched leaflets five times over the past two months.
A police official told Yonhap news agency that Gimpo residents living near the border strongly objected to launching leaflets amid mounting tensions over North Korea`s nuclear and missile programmes.
Park`s group, all defectors from the North, planned to use gas-filled balloons to float the leaflets across the western border.
Pyongyang`s official Internet website Uriminzokkiri said such launches were an "intolerable, provocative campaign" aimed at smearing the dignity of its leadership.
"If the puppets let ragtag bunches of misfits carry out such a circus as leaflet launches, a horrible tragedy would take place," it said. "At a moment when even a single rubbish leaflet lands on our side, the origin of the provocation will be blown up."
The statement came after two more groups of anti-Pyongyang activists said they would launch leaflets on Monday to coincide with Kim Il-Sung`s birthday in order to demand the release of former POWs and fishermen kidnapped by the North.
US Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday demanded North Korea scrap an expected missile test and dial down warlike rhetoric, while backing new peace overtures by Seoul.
Seoul this week urged Pyongyang to return to dialogue. President Park Geun-Hye reportedly told ruling party officials on Friday that the South should meet with the North and "listen to what North Korea thinks".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'