South Korean Prez orders military to react to North`s provocations
Seoul: South Korean President Park Geun-hye Monday instructed the military to strongly respond to North Korean provocation.
"If any provocation is made against our people and the country, (the military) should strongly respond (to the provocation) in an early stage without any other political considerations," Yonhap News Agency quoted Park as saying at the annual policy plan briefing by the defence ministry.
Park said she "sees the recent North Korean threat very seriously", mentioning the nullification of non-aggression pact, the cutting-off of the military communications line and the repeated war threats, reported Xinhua.
On Saturday, Pyongyang warned that if South Korea continues to insult its northern neighbour`s dignity, it will shut down their joint industrial park located in North Korea`s border city of Kaesong. South Korea`s unification ministry in charge of dialogue and communication with North Korea said Monday that the industrial zone is operating normally.
The announcement came just hours after North Korea said it had entered "a state of war" against South Korea, which once again escalated tensions on the Koran Peninsula after Pyongyang conducted its third nuclear test Feb 12.
President Park stressed that she will trust the judgment of the military that is directly facing a possible abrupt raid by North Korea, instructing the military to secure safety of workers at the joint industrial park.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars