South Korean waters untouched by radioactive leak
Seoul: An analysis conducted by South Korea`s Nuclear safety and Security Commission has revealed that the country`s waters adjacent to Japan are not affected by radioactive material, the oceans ministry said Thursday.
The analysis stated that there was no detection of traces of radioactive substance in six South Korea sea areas close to Japan, easing public concerns over possible contamination of fisheries products, reports Xinhua.
A minuscule of radioactive substance was found in some waters, but the maximum was 0.00190 becquerels per kilogram (Bq/kg), lower than the five-year average detected prior to the Fukushima power plant incident.
The deadly earthquake and subsequent tsunami in 2011 in Japan melted down nuclear reactors at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, leading to the leakage of around 300 tons of radiation-contaminated water from the melted fuel to flow into the Pacific Ocean every day.
A week earlier, Seoul banned imports of all marine products from eight prefectures surrounding Fukushima, which was seriously polluted and damaged by radiation.
Fears mounted over Japan`s fishery goods among South Korean people, causing a drop in consumption of all marine products.
The ministry, citing a separate test, said no radiation was detected in fishes caught in South Korean territorial waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Watch: Arjun Kapoor makes his voice-over debut as 'Buck' in Hindi trailer of 'Ice Age Collision Course'!
- Govt, RBI seek to soothe wracked investor nerves after Brexit
- Chicago University welcomes Raghuram Rajan back to academics
- No kids for John Abraham for now
- Throwback pic! Virat Kohli showcases rockstar avatar, raps in AR Rahman's Chennai studio