South Sudan food crisis worst in the world: UN
United Nations: South Sudan`s food crisis is now the worst in the world, the UN Security Council has said as it called for urgent funding to step up deliveries of desperately-needed aid.
Some 3.9 million people -- a staggering one in three people throughout the country -- are going hungry as the fighting in South Sudan continues, according to UN officials.
The Security Council yesterday described a "catastrophic food insecurity situation in South Sudan that is now the worst in the world" and said the country was on the threshold of a full-blown famine if fighting continues.
It called on countries that pledged 618 million dollars in aid for South Sudan at a conference in May to make good on their promises and to increase their commitment.
Fighting erupted in South Sudan in December, sparked by a power struggle between President Salva Kiir and his deputy Riek Machar.
The 15-member Council also condemned the latest round of fighting around the town of Nasir and reminded the warring sides that attacks against civilians may lead to war crimes prosecutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Watch this video! Your stomach will churn as man puts 2 live vampire bats in mouth
- WATCH: On this day in 1983, Kapil Dev's India were crowned world champion
- `Narasimha Rao used IB to keep an eye on Sonia Gandhi after Babri Masjid demolition`
- Iceland elects new president in vote eclipsed by Euros, Brexit
- We don't need people like Mukhtar Ansari in party: Akhilesh Yadav