South Sudan officially joins African Union
Addis Ababa: South Sudan has officially joined the African Union after two-thirds of member
countries accepted Juba`s request for membership.
Africa`s newest state has been welcomed to the continental club following an elaborate ceremony held on Tuesday at the bloc`s Addis Ababa headquarters.
South Sudan now becomes the 54th member of the regional grouping established in 2002 as a successor to the defunct Organisation of African Unity.
The South Sudanese flag was hoisted at the AU compound by President Salva Kiir Mayardit and bloc chief Jean Ping, followed by a joyful national anthem performed by a brass band that had travelled from Juba.
The ceremony was well attended by representatives from all African countries in addition to other invited guests.
South Sudan will now formally take over its permanent seat at AU meetings, next to that of the Sudanese government.
"We were around the outside of this building for many years but we were never allowed to enter but today we are here sitting with you," Mr Kiir told those in attendance.
Mr Ping urged member countries that had not responded to the AU Commission`s communication on Juba`s membership to do so, while calling on both the North and South to resolve pending issues under the Comprehensive Peace Agreement signed between the two opposing sides in 2005.
President Kiir promised his government would work hard to sustain peace and fulfil the expectations of South Sudanese and Africans by ensuring social-economic progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now