South Sudan officially joins African Union
Addis Ababa: South Sudan has officially joined the African Union after two-thirds of member
countries accepted Juba`s request for membership.
Africa`s newest state has been welcomed to the continental club following an elaborate ceremony held on Tuesday at the bloc`s Addis Ababa headquarters.
South Sudan now becomes the 54th member of the regional grouping established in 2002 as a successor to the defunct Organisation of African Unity.
The South Sudanese flag was hoisted at the AU compound by President Salva Kiir Mayardit and bloc chief Jean Ping, followed by a joyful national anthem performed by a brass band that had travelled from Juba.
The ceremony was well attended by representatives from all African countries in addition to other invited guests.
South Sudan will now formally take over its permanent seat at AU meetings, next to that of the Sudanese government.
"We were around the outside of this building for many years but we were never allowed to enter but today we are here sitting with you," Mr Kiir told those in attendance.
Mr Ping urged member countries that had not responded to the AU Commission`s communication on Juba`s membership to do so, while calling on both the North and South to resolve pending issues under the Comprehensive Peace Agreement signed between the two opposing sides in 2005.
President Kiir promised his government would work hard to sustain peace and fulfil the expectations of South Sudanese and Africans by ensuring social-economic progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30