South Sudan readies for final assault on rebels
Juba: South Sudan forces have been preparing for an offensive on the last key town under the control of rebels, Press TV reported Saturday.
South Sudan is mobilising thousands of troops to fight with the rebels in Jonglei state`s capital town of Bor, around 200 km north of here, the government said.
The move to deal a final blow to the rebels comes a day after government troops recaptured the country`s main oil hub Bentiu, the capital of oil-producing northern Unity state.
Riek Machar, President Salva Kiir’s sacked vice president who has assumed the leadership of the rebels, has pledged to defend Bor.
A spokesperson for Machar also said that while rebels had lost the town of Bentiu, the area`s oil infrastructure was still in their hands.
Violent clashes erupted in South Sudan December 15 after Kiir accused Machar of attempting to stage a coup. The former vice president denies the accusations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Denmark bags Europe's maiden Thomas Cup title
- Understanding Olympics qualification: How MC Mary Kom can still go to Rio 2016, with some luck
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by 22 runs, march into playoffs
- Three men held for attacking BJP MP Tarun Vijay
- Internet services suspended in Kupwara in wake of encounter