South Sudan to get anti-aircraft missiles
Khartoum: The chief of general staff of South Sudan`s military has pledged that within a few months the country will acquire anti-aircraft missiles to defend its territory from attacks by neighbouring Sudan.
When the South Sudanese military receives the missiles, it will "not have an issue with air defence", the Sudanese Tribune daily quoted General James Hoth Mai as saying at a meeting of high-ranking military officers.
South Sudan became the world`s newest independent nation in July last year. However, the country`s independence, which followed decades of civil war, has failed to resolve all issues with its northern neighbour Sudan and fighting still rages in disputed territories along the border.
The newly independent state currently has no anti-aircraft batteries or warplanes to defend itself from Sudanese air attacks.
In April, South Sudan forces entered the oil-producing border region of Heglig, which a 2009 ruling of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague included in Sudan`s Southern Kordofan state.
Heglig accounts for 60,000 out of 115,000 barrels of oil produced in Sudan daily.
During recent battles in Heglig, the Sudanese Air Force carried out regular air attacks on the positions of the South Sudanese Army on the border areas but also deep inside the South Sudan territory, the Sudan Tribune said.
The UN has said Sudan`s "indiscriminate" aerial bombing of South Sudan and attacks that harm civilians could be considered international crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead