South Sudan to get anti-aircraft missiles
Khartoum: The chief of general staff of South Sudan`s military has pledged that within a few months the country will acquire anti-aircraft missiles to defend its territory from attacks by neighbouring Sudan.
When the South Sudanese military receives the missiles, it will "not have an issue with air defence", the Sudanese Tribune daily quoted General James Hoth Mai as saying at a meeting of high-ranking military officers.
South Sudan became the world`s newest independent nation in July last year. However, the country`s independence, which followed decades of civil war, has failed to resolve all issues with its northern neighbour Sudan and fighting still rages in disputed territories along the border.
The newly independent state currently has no anti-aircraft batteries or warplanes to defend itself from Sudanese air attacks.
In April, South Sudan forces entered the oil-producing border region of Heglig, which a 2009 ruling of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague included in Sudan`s Southern Kordofan state.
Heglig accounts for 60,000 out of 115,000 barrels of oil produced in Sudan daily.
During recent battles in Heglig, the Sudanese Air Force carried out regular air attacks on the positions of the South Sudanese Army on the border areas but also deep inside the South Sudan territory, the Sudan Tribune said.
The UN has said Sudan`s "indiscriminate" aerial bombing of South Sudan and attacks that harm civilians could be considered international crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof