Southern Philippines: Two blasts wound atleast 8
Manila: Suspected homemade bombs exploded in a budget hotel and at a cockfighting arena in a southern Philippine city Sunday, wounding at least eight people, officials said.
The nearly simultaneous blasts ripped through a room inside the hotel and at the cockfighting arena at around noon in Zamboanga city, which was celebrating an annual Roman Catholic festival, said Zamboanga Mayor Celso Lobregat, who rushed to check on the wounded at a hospital.
It was not immediately clear who was responsible for the blasts. The city has been hit by deadly bombings by al Qaeda-linked militants in the past.
Army Col. Buenaventura Pascual said one suspected bomb went off in a room at the Red Palm Pension House, which sits beside a bus terminal, wounding three people. A second suspected bomb blast wounded five people in a cockfighting arena in the city`s San Roque village.
Lorna Heramis said she and her three employees were preparing to open her food stall when a loud blast ripped through the arena about an hour before it was to open for weekend cockfighting, which usually draws large numbers of customers. The blast damaged the roof of her stall, but she and her employees managed to escape uninjured.
"We heard a deafening explosion, then there was darkness and a fire," Heramis told The Associated Press by telephone. "I hugged my employees, and we saw three bloodied men running away from the cockpit arena."
Zamboanga city, where US counterterrorism troops have been based for years to train local troops, has been hit by deadly bombings blamed on al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf militants, who are based on nearby Basilan island.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why