Southern Philippines: Two blasts wound atleast 8
Manila: Suspected homemade bombs exploded in a budget hotel and at a cockfighting arena in a southern Philippine city Sunday, wounding at least eight people, officials said.
The nearly simultaneous blasts ripped through a room inside the hotel and at the cockfighting arena at around noon in Zamboanga city, which was celebrating an annual Roman Catholic festival, said Zamboanga Mayor Celso Lobregat, who rushed to check on the wounded at a hospital.
It was not immediately clear who was responsible for the blasts. The city has been hit by deadly bombings by al Qaeda-linked militants in the past.
Army Col. Buenaventura Pascual said one suspected bomb went off in a room at the Red Palm Pension House, which sits beside a bus terminal, wounding three people. A second suspected bomb blast wounded five people in a cockfighting arena in the city`s San Roque village.
Lorna Heramis said she and her three employees were preparing to open her food stall when a loud blast ripped through the arena about an hour before it was to open for weekend cockfighting, which usually draws large numbers of customers. The blast damaged the roof of her stall, but she and her employees managed to escape uninjured.
"We heard a deafening explosion, then there was darkness and a fire," Heramis told The Associated Press by telephone. "I hugged my employees, and we saw three bloodied men running away from the cockpit arena."
Zamboanga city, where US counterterrorism troops have been based for years to train local troops, has been hit by deadly bombings blamed on al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf militants, who are based on nearby Basilan island.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Atomic bomb survivors to attend Hiroshima event for Obama visit
- International Red Cross to help flood-stricken Sri Lanka
- Bipasha Basu's latest fashion summer hack will give you style goals – See pic
- Jharkhand plans to improve its education system
- As BJP celebrates two years in power, ally Shiv Sena says Modi govt 'a failure on many fronts'