Spain arrests Chinese suspects in major jewellery heist
Madrid: Spanish police arrested 17 people including six Chinese suspects for a ram-raid on a jeweller’s in Madrid that looted luxury watches worth 23 million Euros (USD 31 million), officials said on Thursday.
The robbery last December was one of Spain`s biggest jewel thefts ever, police said in a statement.
The robbers disarmed the jewellery store`s alarms and broke into its secure chamber, stealing more than 1,700 luxury wristwatches.
Officers arrested the leader of the gang responsible for the heist along with "a well-known ram-raider" notorious for crashing vehicles through shop windows for robbery.
The six Chinese nationals detained were suspected of receiving the stolen watches and selling them on in China, the statement added.
Police caught those suspects trying to smuggle some of the watches out of Spain in suitcases. The cross-border agency Interpol also helped track down some of the watches in Shanghai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!