Spain can`t trust ETA truce announcement: Minister
Madrid: Spain`s interior minister has dismissed a ceasefire announcement by the Basque separatist group ETA and says police will be as tough as ever against the armed militants.
Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba says ETA`s statement on Sunday falls short of what Basque society and other Spaniards demand from the militant group, which is that it renounces violence for good.
The minister told Spanish National Television on Monday he is convinced ETA will continue with other illegal activities like trying to amass weapons.
Rubalcaba says the militant group has declared the truce because it is so weak it cannot stage attacks.
Its last deadly attack in Spain was in July of last year, when it killed two policemen with a car bomb. Nearly 240 of its members have been arrested since 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days