Spain can`t trust ETA truce announcement: Minister
Madrid: Spain`s interior minister has dismissed a ceasefire announcement by the Basque separatist group ETA and says police will be as tough as ever against the armed militants.
Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba says ETA`s statement on Sunday falls short of what Basque society and other Spaniards demand from the militant group, which is that it renounces violence for good.
The minister told Spanish National Television on Monday he is convinced ETA will continue with other illegal activities like trying to amass weapons.
Rubalcaba says the militant group has declared the truce because it is so weak it cannot stage attacks.
Its last deadly attack in Spain was in July of last year, when it killed two policemen with a car bomb. Nearly 240 of its members have been arrested since 2008.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata