Spain can`t trust ETA truce announcement: Minister
Madrid: Spain`s interior minister has dismissed a ceasefire announcement by the Basque separatist group ETA and says police will be as tough as ever against the armed militants.
Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba says ETA`s statement on Sunday falls short of what Basque society and other Spaniards demand from the militant group, which is that it renounces violence for good.
The minister told Spanish National Television on Monday he is convinced ETA will continue with other illegal activities like trying to amass weapons.
Rubalcaba says the militant group has declared the truce because it is so weak it cannot stage attacks.
Its last deadly attack in Spain was in July of last year, when it killed two policemen with a car bomb. Nearly 240 of its members have been arrested since 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!