Spain checks rail network after deadly crash
Madrid: Spain state railway track operator Adif said on Tuesday it is checking its network after last week`s train derailment that killed 79 people, the country`s worst train disaster in decades.
"After the accident, the protocol is to check that everything is working properly," a spokeswoman for the company said.
"This is a precautionary measure. After what happened, the protocol is to review all systems to confirm that everything is working properly."
All tracks and security systems will be reviewed, the spokeswoman said.
A spokesman for Spain`s state railway operator Renfe refused to comment, but daily newspaper El Pais reported that the company was also reviewing its safety systems in the wake of Wednesday`s accident.
The fast-moving train -- a model able to adapt between high-speed and normal tracks -- flew off the tracks on a sharp bend and ploughed into a concrete siding about four kilometres from pilgrimage town of Santiago de Compostela.
At the site of the accident the train was passing through an urban area on a stretch of conventional track instead of a high-speed track, the Adif spokeswoman said.
The driver of the train, Francisco Jose Garzon Amo, was charged on Sunday with 79 counts of reckless homicide and released under court supervision.
El Pais has reported that Garzon had told railway officials by radio that the train had taken a curve at 190 kilometres an hour -- more than double the 80 kph speed limit for that section of track.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi