Spain PM owes `nothing` to ETA for disarmament gesture
Madrid: Spain`s Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy on Wednesday rejected calls to respond to a disarmament pledge by the Basque separatist group ETA.
Rajoy insisted the group disband unconditionally despite its pledge last week, in response to questions from Basque politicians in Parliament.
"We do not have to give them anything in return for disbanding," Rajoy said during a state of the nation debate.
International monitors last week said they had overseen the decommissioning of a small cache of weapons by the group, but Rajoy`s government shrugged off the claim.
ETA is blamed for more than 800 deaths in its armed independence campaign. It is classed as a terrorist group by the United States and the European Union.
Members of the monitoring commission were summoned to court after the weapons announcement to be questioned about their contacts with ETA members.
Rajoy drew fire from Basque leaders in parliament for sticking to his stance of refusing to negotiate with ETA.
Mikel Errekondo, a spokesman for the independent Basque coalition Amaiur, said Rajoy had "insulted" the monitors of the International Verification Commission.
"If your government is incapable of solving the problems of the political conflict it faces with the Basque people, you should disband," Errekondo said.
ETA announced a "definitive end to armed activity" in 2011 but has not disbanded as the Spanish and French governments demand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city