Spain raises marrying age from 14 to 16
Madrid: Spain announced Friday it is raising the minimum age for marriage from 14 to 16 while opening consultations to increase the age for consent to sex, which now lies at just 13, so as to combat child abuse.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy`s right-leaning government announced its decision to raise the minimum ages for marriage and sex in Spain, which are now among the lowest in the world, after a weekly cabinet meeting.
The reforms are part of a broad plan approved by the government to protect children from abuse and exploitation, to be funded with a budget estimated at 5.2 billion euros ($6.7 billion) over the next four years.
Spanish legislation allows a child to enter into marriage with a court`s permission as young as 14. Defenders of children`s rights fear that at such a young age some minors, even if only a minority, may be forced into unions.
"Although the age to enter into marriage in our country is 18 years, the law does allow in certain circumstances for marriage at 14. We are going to raise that age to 16," Social Services Minister Ana Mato told a news conference.
"We also propose to raise the age of sexual consent, which is now 13 years, the lowest among countries in our region, so as to avoid adults abusing minors and to fight more effectively against pederasty," she said.
To set a new age limit for sexual relations, the Spanish government said it would open a period of consultations with political parties and children`s organisations.
In line with the recommendations of the United Nations` Committee on the Rights of the Child, the Spanish government also revised the drinking age to 18 across the country. Previously, the minimum age for consumption of alcohol depended on the regulations in each Spanish region.
The Spanish child protection plan also aims to battle child poverty, a cause of serious concern as the country suffers a recession that has left 26 percent of the workforce out of a job and forced tens of thousands of families to lose their homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack