Spain sorry for Bolivia`s Morales` plane diversion over Snowden
Madrid: Spain`s foreign minister Tuesday offered apologies to Bolivia`s Evo Morales for "any misunderstanding" linked to last week`s diversion of the Latin American leader`s aircraft, but insisted that Madrid never barred the plane from its airspace.
Jose Manuel Garcia-Margallo addressed the issue at a breakfast with reporters in Madrid.
His comments came a day after the Bolivian government summoned the Spanish, French and Italian ambassadors in La Paz to demand explanations in connection with Morales` troubled journey back to the Andean nation after attending a conference in Moscow.
The Bolivian presidential aircraft spent 13 hours on the ground in Vienna as Austrian officials searched the plane for former U. intelligence contractor Edward Snowden, who has released documents exposing Washington`s pervasive surveillance of global telephonic and Internet communications and has been stuck in the transit area of Moscow`s Sheremetyevo International Airport since June 23.
Portugal, France and Italy had earlier barred Morales` plane from their airspace, apparently on suspicion that Snowden was onboard.
"If there is any misunderstanding, I have no problem apologizing to the (Bolivian) president," Garcia-Margallo said Tuesday.
Madrid immediately authorized Morales` plane to stop for fuel in Spain`s Canary Islands once Bolivian Foreign Minister David Choquehuanca provided a written guarantee that Snowden was not aboard the aircraft, Garcia-Margallo said.
"At no time did Spain revoke the flight authorization or the permission to make a stop," the Spanish foreign minister said.
Spain, he said, authorized the landing in the Canaries "based on the word of the Bolivian foreign minister".
"We believe in the word of our Bolivian friends and allies," Spain`s top diplomat said.
Asked whether the alert about Snowden`s ostensible presence on Morales` plane came from the US, Garcia-Margallo said only that the report reached Madrid from inside Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway