Spain, US ink accord to deploy anti-missile shield
Brussels: Spain and the US on Wednesday signed an agreement at NATO headquarters here that will allow the deployment of an anti-missile shield at Spain`s Rota naval base.
"This accord is important for NATO and very important for Spain," said Spanish Defence Minister Pedro Morenes, who signed the pact with his US counterpart Leon Panetta at the close of the NATO ministerial meeting devoted, among other things, to Afghanistan.
Morenes said, at a press conference, that the signing of the agreement gives Spain "important international credibility", and he emphasized that the country is thus contributing to NATO security.
"Here an important procedure is established against complex situations of massive arms proliferation ... in different political-geographic environments," the minister said.
Meanwhile, the Pentagon chief expressed his gratitude to Spain and to Morenes for their willingness to host US Navy vessels at Rota.
The Spanish Cabinet authorized the signing of the pact last week, a year after Spain announced it would take part in the project.
It was then-prime minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero who offered Spain`s participation during a meeting in Brussels in October 2011.
The deployment of the missile-defence system requiring modification to Spain`s existing defence agreement with the US.
The adjustments will facilitate the arrival at the Mediterranean base of Rota starting in 2013 of some 1,200 US military personnel and about 1,400 of their family members.
The United States will handle all the expenses of the construction work needed to adapt the Rota base to the new situation, Spanish Deputy Prime Minister Soraya Saenz de Santamaria said last Friday.
In that regard, Morenes said that the United States will invest 2 million euros (USD 2.58 million) to outfit the Rota docks to attend to the needs of the navy vessels.
The accord, the minister added, "has benefits for Spain besides those of security", a reference to the economic activity that the presence of the US Navy vessels and personnel will bring.
Besides Spain, countries such as Poland, Romania, The Netherlands and Turkey will host installations and components of the NATO anti-missile system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in