Spain wildfires kill 2, prompt tourist evacuations
Madrid: Two firefighters have died from injuries sustained in battling a wildfire in Spain`s eastern province of Alicante while hundreds were evacuated by boat to escape a fire raging on the Canary Island of La Gomera, an emergency services official said on Monday.
One firefighter died today in an Alicante city hospital while another died there yesterday, and two other crew members were being treated in the hospital, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in keeping with service regulations.
He said the blaze is believed to have started when a car broke down and caught fire when its hood was lifted. The Alicante blaze was one of half a dozen raging throughout Spain today.
Nearly 1,000 tourists and island residents were evacuated by boat from the western island town of Valle Gran Rey on La Gomera island, located off the northwest coast of Africa, as authorities feared fires in surrounding hills could engulf the town.
A further 3,000 people were gathered at the town`s port area Monday waiting to see how the fire developed, said Candelaria Ceballos, spokeswoman for the Canary Island regional government.
She said some 3,100 hectares, including some 800 hectares in the Garajonay National Park, had been destroyed since the fire began Aug 4. The park contains woodlands that have survived since the Tertiary age, 11 million years ago, and was declared a World Heritage Site by the UN cultural agency in 1986.
The blaze was thought to have been brought under control last week but it rekindled on Friday.
Some 5,000 people were evacuated from other towns on La Gomera and neighbouring popular tourist island of Tenerife because of fires over the weekend but were later able to return to their homes. Ceballos said the fire on Tenerife fire had affected some 300 hectares of land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test