Spain`s new abortion law comes into force
Madrid: Spain`s controversial abortion law, which allows girls at 16 and above to terminate a pregnancy in the first 14 weeks without informing their parents, has come into force.
Its enactment Monday comes 25 years after the approval of the regulation that has allowed 1.3 million women to have abortions in the country.
The new law, which has sparked the strong opposition of conservative sectors and the Catholic Church, permits abortion on demand up until the 14th week of pregnancy, and up to the 22nd week in the case of potential risk to the life or health of the woman or serious birth defects or problems with the foetus, as certified by physicians.
The conservative main opposition Popular Party and the government of the northern region of Navarre have asked the Constitutional Court to issue an injunction against the new law due to their view that abortion on demand is contrary to the right to life, guaranteed by Article 15 of Spain`s post-Franco constitution.
Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said Monday he was confident the law would be upheld as constitutional.
Zapatero emphasised that this is both a "preventive" law, because it will avoid unwanted pregnancies, and one involving "safety" because it provides more guarantees to women and to health care personnel in the face of voluntary interruptions of pregnancy.
The Popular Party spokesman on social policy, Sandra Moneo, said that halting the implementation of the law was "very urgent", given that the consequences of its entry into force will be "irreversible".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened