Spanish King has new hip: Palace
Madrid: Surgeons replaced Spanish King Juan Carlos`s hip in Madrid on Saturday after he fractured it in a fall during a private visit to Botswana, the royal palace said.
The 74-year-old King "had a surgical operation on his hip this morning at USP San Jose Hospital in Madrid," the palace said in a statement.
"Juan Carlos had suffered a fracture of his right hip into three pieces, linked to arthritis," it added.
"A reconstruction of the parts of the fracture was carried out and a hip implant was installed."
It said Juan Carlos suffered an "accidental fall" in Botswana.
It was the fourth operation the King has undergone in the past two years.
He had a benign tumour removed from a lung in May 2010, and last June he was given an artificial right knee joint. Then in September he had a torn Achilles tendon repaired.
In November, the King donned sunglasses at an official ceremony to hide a black eye that a palace spokesman said he sustained when he was "hit by a doorknob”.
On Tuesday, the royal family said that Juan Carlos`s 13-year-old grandson Felipe Marichalar Borbon had shot himself in the foot with a shotgun. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed