Spanish police arrest Moroccan terror suspect
Madrid: Spanish police arrested a suspected
member of a terrorist group affiliated with al-Qaida today who
allegedly ran an Internet site that spread propaganda and
sought to recruit members to carry out attacks, the Interior
Abdellatif Aoulad Chiba, 37, from Morocco was arrested in
La Linea de la Concepcion, a coastal town close to the British
colony of Gibraltar on Spain`s southwestern tip, a ministry
Chiba had been expelled from Jordan for suspected
terror-related activities, the ministry said, without
providing any other details.
The statement said he is a suspected member of al Qaeda in
the Islamic Maghreb, an offshoot of al Qaeda that sprang from
an Algerian insurgency movement in late 2006.
The ministry said the website, which was not named, also
offered training for new members, encouraged terror actions
and provided links to statements and media products from the
leaders of Islamic terror groups.
The ministry said police were searching Chiba`s house
after the arrest early today.
The investigation began after police noticed an increase
in the number of people connecting to jihad Internet forums to
discuss ways of carrying out attacks in the West, the ministry
It said international cooperation enabled police to locate
Chiba in Spain.
Like other al Qaeda affiliates, al Qaeda in the Islamic
Maghreb claims it helped start the popular uprisings now under
way around the Arab world.
It is believed to be seeking a stronger foothold among
opposition groups in the these countries and has released a
video aimed at luring new followers for revolt by jihad, or
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city