Spanish police detain Pakistani heroin smugglers
Madrid: 14 people, including 12 Pakistani nationals, have been detained in Spain, Portugal and Denmark on suspicion of forming part of a group that smuggled heroin into the continent, Spanish police said today.
More than 32 kilos of heroin from Pakistan was seized
as part of the operation co-ordinated by Spanish police, more
than half of it in Spain, as well over 22,000 euros (USD
32,000) in cash and several mobile telephones, they said in a
The group would hide the drugs in furniture, suitcases
with false bottoms, carpets and paintings.
Nine people were detained in Spain. Three others were
arrested in Denmark and another two in Portugal at the request
of Spanish police.
In addition to the 12 Pakistanis, police detained a
Portuguese and a Ghanaian citizen.
Police said they began their operation in May after
three people were arrested in the north-eastern port city of
Barcelona who had received a piece of furniture shipped from
Britain with nearly eight kilos of heroin inside it.
In 2008, police seized more than 316 kilos of heroin
from a yacht near Barcelona in what they said at the time was
the "biggest-ever" apprehension of the drug in Spain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA