Spanish police detain Pakistani heroin smugglers
Madrid: 14 people, including 12 Pakistani nationals, have been detained in Spain, Portugal and Denmark on suspicion of forming part of a group that smuggled heroin into the continent, Spanish police said today.
More than 32 kilos of heroin from Pakistan was seized
as part of the operation co-ordinated by Spanish police, more
than half of it in Spain, as well over 22,000 euros (USD
32,000) in cash and several mobile telephones, they said in a
The group would hide the drugs in furniture, suitcases
with false bottoms, carpets and paintings.
Nine people were detained in Spain. Three others were
arrested in Denmark and another two in Portugal at the request
of Spanish police.
In addition to the 12 Pakistanis, police detained a
Portuguese and a Ghanaian citizen.
Police said they began their operation in May after
three people were arrested in the north-eastern port city of
Barcelona who had received a piece of furniture shipped from
Britain with nearly eight kilos of heroin inside it.
In 2008, police seized more than 316 kilos of heroin
from a yacht near Barcelona in what they said at the time was
the "biggest-ever" apprehension of the drug in Spain.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India