Spanish police detain Pakistani heroin smugglers
Madrid: 14 people, including 12 Pakistani nationals, have been detained in Spain, Portugal and Denmark on suspicion of forming part of a group that smuggled heroin into the continent, Spanish police said today.
More than 32 kilos of heroin from Pakistan was seized
as part of the operation co-ordinated by Spanish police, more
than half of it in Spain, as well over 22,000 euros (USD
32,000) in cash and several mobile telephones, they said in a
The group would hide the drugs in furniture, suitcases
with false bottoms, carpets and paintings.
Nine people were detained in Spain. Three others were
arrested in Denmark and another two in Portugal at the request
of Spanish police.
In addition to the 12 Pakistanis, police detained a
Portuguese and a Ghanaian citizen.
Police said they began their operation in May after
three people were arrested in the north-eastern port city of
Barcelona who had received a piece of furniture shipped from
Britain with nearly eight kilos of heroin inside it.
In 2008, police seized more than 316 kilos of heroin
from a yacht near Barcelona in what they said at the time was
the "biggest-ever" apprehension of the drug in Spain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE