Spanish warship foils pirate attack on Norwegian tanker: EU
Brussels: A Spanish warship foiled an attack
on a Norwegian chemical tanker on Tuesday in the Gulf of Aden,
holding seven suspected Somali pirates pending possible
prosecution, EU naval forces said.
A pirate skiff shot at the bridge of the MV Bow Saga,
which responded with water hoses to prevent the assailants
climbing aboard, before a helicopter from the SPS Victoria
managed to intervene, a statement said.
"The pirates stopped the attack and tried to flee,"
NAVFOR forces said. "After warning shots, first from the
helicopter and then from the warship, the pirates eventually
stopped and the skiff was searched by a boarding team. Weapons
were subsequently found on the skiff."
A spokesman subsequently suggested that prosecution was
not cut and dried, saying: "The seven are being held on the
skiff. We have standard procedures to follow. The first thing
is to capture the boat and then decide if they are to be
"We are working on it," he underlined, adding that the
pirates could be taken to Kenya or could also be prosecuted in
the country of the ship`s owners, in this case Norway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details