Spanish warship foils pirate attack on Norwegian tanker: EU
Brussels: A Spanish warship foiled an attack
on a Norwegian chemical tanker on Tuesday in the Gulf of Aden,
holding seven suspected Somali pirates pending possible
prosecution, EU naval forces said.
A pirate skiff shot at the bridge of the MV Bow Saga,
which responded with water hoses to prevent the assailants
climbing aboard, before a helicopter from the SPS Victoria
managed to intervene, a statement said.
"The pirates stopped the attack and tried to flee,"
NAVFOR forces said. "After warning shots, first from the
helicopter and then from the warship, the pirates eventually
stopped and the skiff was searched by a boarding team. Weapons
were subsequently found on the skiff."
A spokesman subsequently suggested that prosecution was
not cut and dried, saying: "The seven are being held on the
skiff. We have standard procedures to follow. The first thing
is to capture the boat and then decide if they are to be
"We are working on it," he underlined, adding that the
pirates could be taken to Kenya or could also be prosecuted in
the country of the ship`s owners, in this case Norway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials