Spanish woman sets herself on fire in bank
Madrid: Authorities say a Spanish woman walked into a bank branch in a small eastern city, doused herself with flammable liquid and set herself ablaze.
A regional government statement citing police in Almassora says the woman was taken by helicopter to be treated in Valencia for burns that Spanish media reported covered nearly half of her body.
Authorities did not give a reason for why the woman decided to set herself on fire yesterday.
But Spain is in financial crisis, and banks are being blamed for a wave of mortgage foreclosures, homeowner evictions and at least five mortgage default-related suicides in recent months.
Outcry over the evictions and suicides has prompted the ruling party to agree to debate possible mortgage default law changes in Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note