Special forces commander killed in Russia`s Dagestan
Makhachkala: Masked men shot dead a special forces commander in Russia`s Dagestan region on Thursday, officials said, part of a wave of attacks that have undermined Moscow`s grip of the mainly Muslim North Caucasus.
Lieutenant Colonel Shapi Aligadzhiyev died en route to hospital after three men shot him in the chest and face outside his apartment building in Dagestan`s main city of Makhachkala, a police official said.
One of the attackers was killed when a policeman returned fire, but the other two escaped, the Prosecutor-General`s investigative unit said in a statement.
Mounting turbulence in North Caucasus, which also includes Chechnya and Ingushetia, has become a major headache for the Kremlin in recent months, causing fears the violence could spill over into other parts of Russia.
Dagestan has suffered a series of attacks on policemen in recent days that authorities have blamed on Islamist insurgents.
A 10-kg explosive device was discovered near a gas pipeline in Dagestan on Thursday and defused, the Federal Security Service said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'