`Spy scientist` worked on Star Wars too
Washington: A scientist who allegedly tried to sell classified secrets to Israel had worked on the US government’s Star Wars missile shield program, and the justice department declared on Tuesday that he had tried to share some of the nation’s most guarded secrets.
Arrested in an FBI sting operation, Stewart David Nozette was jailed without bond and accused in a criminal complaint of two counts of attempting to communicate, deliver and transmit classified information.
A former colleague of Nozette says the scientist worked on the Reagan administration’s Star Wars missile shield program. In an interview, Scott Hubbard said that a scientist arrested in an FBI sting, Stewart David Nozette, was primarily a technical defense expert working on the Reagan-era effort formally named the Strategic Defense Initiative.
“This was leading edge, department of defense national security work,” said Hubbard, a professor of aerospace at Stanford University who worked for 20 years at Nasa. Hubbard said Nozette worked on the Star Wars project at the energy department’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
At Energy, Nozette held a special security clearance equivalent to the defense department’s top secret and “critical nuclear weapon design information” clearances. DOE clearances apply to access to information specifically relating to atomic or nuclear-related materials. Nozette more recently developed the Clementine bi-static radar experiment that is credited with discovering water on the south pole of the Moon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city