Sri Lankan Army says it wasn`t behind attack on poll candidate
Colombo: Nine persons were injured in an attack on the home of a key Tamil party`s election candidate in Jaffna, and the Sri Lankan Army on Friday refuted allegations that it was behind the incident.
The home of Tamil National Alliance (TNA) leader Ananthi Sasheetharan at Ariyalai in Jaffna was attacked by a group of unidentified armed persons at midnight. Nine persons injured in the attack are being treated at Jaffna hospital.
The group damaged vehicles and fled after grabbing the mobile phones of people present in the house.
Among the injured is a member of the election watch dog, People`s Action for Free and Fair Elections.
Brig Ruwan Wanigasuriya, the military spokesman, said: "We reject this type of baseless accusations. What we know is that a police inquiry is in progress, so accusing the army would hamper the investigations."
Meanwhile, the police election secretariat said 189 incidents of poll-related violence had been recorded over a period of one month in three provinces going to the polls on Saturday. In all, 141 people have been arrested.
The north finished second behind the central province as the most violent district, police officials said.
Saturday`s election is the first for the northern provincial council since Sir Lanka`s ethnic war ended four years ago in 2009.
Some 4.3 million people from the island`s over 14 million registered voters are eligible to vote in the three provinces. A total of 40,000 state officials, including 24,000 police and security personnel, have been deployed for the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal