Sri Lankan President expresses condolence over China quake
Beijing: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, on Sunday said he was deeply saddened to hear of the loss of lives and devastation as a result of the earthquake in southwest China.
In a condolence message to Chinese President Xi Jinping, Rajapaksa said while natural disasters and their consequences are beyond human control, he is certain that the Chinese people will courageously face it and recover in the shortest possible time under the Chinese President`s leadership.
"I offer my deepest condolences to the members of the bereaved families and sympathies to all those whose lives have been affected. At this hour of grief, the sincere thoughts and prayers of the people of Sri Lanka are with the people of China. I wish a speedy recovery to those who are injured," he said.
A 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit Lushan county, Ya`an city of southwest China`s Sichuan Province on Saturday, leaving at least 180 people dead and over 11,000 injured.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa told Chinese President Xi that the disaster will get the Sri Lankan government`s highest consideration.
Sri Lanka has strong diplomatic ties with China, which facilitates the development on the island by funding the construction of new roadways, a harbor, an international airport and power projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore