Sri Lankan President expresses condolence over China quake
Beijing: Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa, on Sunday said he was deeply saddened to hear of the loss of lives and devastation as a result of the earthquake in southwest China.
In a condolence message to Chinese President Xi Jinping, Rajapaksa said while natural disasters and their consequences are beyond human control, he is certain that the Chinese people will courageously face it and recover in the shortest possible time under the Chinese President`s leadership.
"I offer my deepest condolences to the members of the bereaved families and sympathies to all those whose lives have been affected. At this hour of grief, the sincere thoughts and prayers of the people of Sri Lanka are with the people of China. I wish a speedy recovery to those who are injured," he said.
A 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit Lushan county, Ya`an city of southwest China`s Sichuan Province on Saturday, leaving at least 180 people dead and over 11,000 injured.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa told Chinese President Xi that the disaster will get the Sri Lankan government`s highest consideration.
Sri Lanka has strong diplomatic ties with China, which facilitates the development on the island by funding the construction of new roadways, a harbor, an international airport and power projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000