Stability in China`s Xinjiang province `remains fragile`
Beijing: Stability in China`s Muslim
majority Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, which was shaken by
a deadly riot last year, "remains fragile," a top official
warned on Friday.
"We should be aware that the stability of Xinjiang
remains fragile," Zhang Chunxian, secretary of the Xinjiang
Autonomous Region Committee of the Communist Party of China,
told senior officials.
"There are still many factors from home and abroad
that may affect stability, and the task of maintaining
stability remains tough," Zhang was quoted as saying by the
state-run Xinhua news agency.
The meeting, attended by Xinjiang`s high-level
officials and leaders of the regional army and police forces,
concluded that authorities were determined to prevent major
cases involving violence and terror, and large "mass
incidents" -- usually gatherings of people with complaints
that may lead to chaos without proper handling.
The participants at the high level meeting agreed that
the key is rigorously preventing such incidents and striking
hard against splittist and terrorist activities, the report
Xinjiang, with 41.5 percent of its population from
the Uygur ethnic group, borders eight central and west Asian
countries, many of which have been troubled by terrorists and
In July 2009, 197 people were killed and 1,700 injured
in China`s worst riot in Urumqi in decades. Authorities blamed
separatists and extremists for inciting the violence.
In the wake of the riot, the central government ramped
up development drives in the remote, mostly underdeveloped
region with the aim of eliminating the seeds of unrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’