Staff `resolve` disturbance` at England`s biggest prison
London: Staff at Oakwood prison near Wolverhampton have `resolved` an overnight incident, the security firm that manages the facility said on Monday.
A G4S spokesman said: "This incident was resolved successfully at 2.10am.
"Police and internal investigations will now take place.
"It would be inappropriate to comment further until these have been completed."
British media said a "serious disturbance" had broken out at the prison, which was the scene of a number of rooftop protests last year.
The prison -- the largest in England and Wales, housing 1,600 inmates -- opened in April 2012 as a training prison next to the existing Featherstone and Brinsford prisons.
Following a surprise visit in October, prisons watchdog HMIP described inexperienced staff and high levels of violence and self-harm at the jail, branded "Jokewood" by prisoners.
The privately run prison houses category C male prisoners, who are defined as those who cannot be trusted in open conditions but are not considered capable of escape.
G4S, notorious for its inability to fulfil its Olympics security contract, has been under review by the government following revelations it overcharged for criminal-tagging contracts.
The government has since announced that electronic monitoring will handed to another firm on an interim basis at the end of the financial year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'