Stalin-era killings `unjustifiable`: Medvedev
Moscow: The killing of millions during Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin`s rule cannot be justified, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on his blogsite early Friday, warning against any attempt at revisionism.
"I am convinced that the memory of national tragedies is as sacred as those of victories," Medvedev said, calling the "repression" and the purges during the 1930s "one of the greatest tragedies in Russian history”.
He dismissed apologists` claims that the "extermination" was necessary for the "higher objectives of the state," saying: "Nothing can be more important than a human life.
"Nothing can justify repression," he added, pledging to back the fight "against the falsification of our history”.
There have been fierce arguments between Russian liberals and conservatives about the legacy of a dictator responsible for the death and imprisonment of millions in the Soviet Union`s notorious gulag prison system.
But while his brutality has been well documented, many Russians still associate his rule with the Soviet victory over Nazi Germany in World War II and remain sympathetic to him.
Under former president Vladimir Putin, now Prime Minister, Moscow has been downplaying Stalin`s crimes in a bid to boost patriotic feelings, praising him as an effective manager and wartime leader.
But in May this year, Medvedev warned against whitewashing history.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi