State funeral in Italy for troops killed in Kabul
Rome: Italy is holding a day of mourning as it lays to rest six soldiers who were killed in a bombing attack in Afghanistan last week.
A state funeral is being held today in a Rome basilica. President Giorgio Napolitano and Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi are expected to attend.
Officials say flags will fly at half-staff on government buildings across Italy.
The six were killed by a roadside bombing Thursday in the Afghan capital, Kabul. Four other Italian soldiers were injured and 10 Afghans also lost their lives.
The bodies of the Italians were returned home yesterday. Thousands of people went to pay their respects as the bodies lay in state in the chapel of a military hospital in Rome.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena