State funeral in Italy for troops killed in Kabul
Rome: Italy is holding a day of mourning as it lays to rest six soldiers who were killed in a bombing attack in Afghanistan last week.
A state funeral is being held today in a Rome basilica. President Giorgio Napolitano and Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi are expected to attend.
Officials say flags will fly at half-staff on government buildings across Italy.
The six were killed by a roadside bombing Thursday in the Afghan capital, Kabul. Four other Italian soldiers were injured and 10 Afghans also lost their lives.
The bodies of the Italians were returned home yesterday. Thousands of people went to pay their respects as the bodies lay in state in the chapel of a military hospital in Rome.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened