State of alert imposed on Israeli-Lebanese border
Marjeyoun: A high state of alert has been imposed since the early hours of Friday near the Israeli- Lebanese border as Lebanon celebrates the 12th commemoration of the Israeli withdrawal from its south.
The Israeli forces reinforced their presence on the borders with armored vehicles and Mirkava tanks, while the Lebanese Army beefed up their troops along with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) in anticipation of any development.
A Lebanese security sources told Xinhua that "the Israeli Army reinforced their positions facing the Shebaa Farms with 15 Mirkava tanks while Unmanned Aerial Vehicles were patrolling the area, violating the Lebanese airspace."
Meanwhile, the UNIFIL was patrolling all the border line known as the "Blue Line" and strengthened their observation points from the Wazzani river to the Shebaa Farms.
The Shebaa Farms have been occupied by Israel since 1967. Lebanon claims, with the backing of Syria, the ownership of the Shebaa Farms, and does not recognize the Blue Line; a virtual line the United Nations drew in 2000 after the Israeli withdrawal to mark the borders of Lebanon.
Lebanon, dubbed the day as "Resistance and Liberation Day," is organizing a series of official and popular celebrations in its south for the event, including a mass gathering held by Hezbollah in the border town of Bint Jbeil, where the Secretary General of Hizbollah Sayed Hasan Nasrallah is to deliver a speech.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened