Statue of Liberty to finally reopen on July 4
New York: Months after Superstorm Sandy swamped her little island, the Statue of Liberty will finally welcome visitors again.
Sandy made landfall one day after the statue`s 126th birthday. The storm flooded most of Liberty Island in New York Harbor. Lady Liberty herself was spared, but the surrounding grounds took a beating.
Railings broke, docks and paving stones were torn up and buildings were flooded. The storm destroyed boilers, sewage pumps and electrical systems.
In recent months, all mechanical equipment was moved to higher ground as workers put the island back in order. The national landmark welcomes about 3.5 million visitors every year. It will reopen to tourists on Thursday, which is Independence Day.
People who purchased tickets in advance can also look out over the harbor from the statue`s crown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31