Stick to Syria peace plan: Russia to new UN envoy
Moscow: Russia hopes that Lakhdar Brahimi, the new UN-Arab League representative for Syria, will follow Kofi Annan`s peace plan, the Geneva accords and UN Security Council resolutions.
Algeria`s former foreign minister Brahimi replaced Annan as peace envoy to Syria on Friday.
Brahimi, 78, formally accepted the post and will resume efforts for a diplomatic solution to Syria`s crisis, said Eduardo del Buey, the deputy spokesman for Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon.
"We act on the assumption that Brahimi will build his activity on the existing `roadmap` for the Syrian settlement," the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
"We hope that he will continue contacts with all sides in Syria, encouraging them toward an early end to violence and the start of political dialog on the country`s future."
The ministry said Russian diplomats are ready for close cooperation with the new envoy.
Moscow welcomed Brahimi`s appointment and pledged support for him.
"We hope that the activity by this experienced diplomat will expedite the cessation of violence and political settlement in the country," Russian UN envoy Vitaly Churkin said.
"We will give him every assistance."
Annan, who assumed his post in February and authored a peace plan aimed at ending the Syrian conflict, announced in early August that he would quit by the end of the month citing the deadlock at the UN Security Council over ways to resolve the current political crisis in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part IV
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part V
- AFI asks IAAF for Olympics wild card for javelin prodigy Neeraj Chopra
- Seven lakh applicants for Punjab Police to face dope test
- Turkey forms state of emergency coordination committee
- BIZARRE: On this flight, passengers go nude at 30,000 feet altitude – Watch viral video
- PITIABLE PLIGHT OF INDIAN ATHLETES: Training with worn-out shoes, Rio-bound sprinter Dutee Chand pleads for new pair