Stonehenge `may have been a worship site`
London: Stonehenge, the UK`s most famous
ancient site, may have been a place of worship some 500 years
before the first stone was erected, a research has claimed.
Archaeologists from the universities of Birmingham,
Bradford and Vienna claim that the sanctity of Stonehenge`s
location may have determined the layout of key aspects of the
surrounding sacred landscape.
The research increases the likelihood that the site
was originally and primarily associated with sun worship, `The
The research has also enabled the archaeologists
to reconstruct the detailed route of a possible religious
congregation or other ritual event which they suspect may have
taken place annually to the north of Stonehenge.
In their research, the archaeologists discovered two
great pits, one towards the enclosure`s eastern end, the other
nearer its western end.
When they modelled the relationship between these
newly discovered Cursus pits and Stonehenge on their computer
system, they realised that, viewed from the so-called "Heel
Stone" at Stonehenge, the pits were aligned with sunrise and
sunset on the longest day of the year.
The chances of those two alignments being purely
coincidental are extremely low.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?