Stoning of Iranian woman `barbaric`: EU
Strasbourg: European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso said he was "appalled" to learn of the sentencing to death by stoning of a 43-year-old Iranian woman and called it "barbaric beyond words".
Barroso made the remarks in his first annual State of the Union address to the European parliament in Strasbourg, France.
The Parliament is expected in the next few days to pass a resolution condemning the execution of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, the mother of two, who has been sentenced to death by stoning after being convicted of adultery by an Iranian court.
The execution of Ashtiani was put on hold in July after an international outcry over the punishment, but her lawyer says her life still hangs by a thread.
Ashtiani, who was also convicted of helping in the killing of her husband, is detained in Iran`s northwestern city of Tabriz.
There are concerns that she could be executed as soon as Friday, when the holy Muslim fasting month of Ramadan comes to an end, her lawyer Javid Houtan Kian, said from Tabriz.
France and Italy have urged Iran to give amnesty to Ashtiani but Iran Tuesday dismissed European concerns and rejected talks over the case.
Iran`s foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said Ashtiani had been charged with murder and infidelity and the case shouldn`t be linked to human rights.
Speaking hours after Mehmanparast`s remarks, Barroso urged greater protection of the rights of the EU`s largest ethnic minority - the 12 million-strong Roma community.
"Governments must respect human rights, including those of minorities. Racism and xenophobia have no place in Europe," said Baroso.
His remarks indirectly targeted the French government, which last month controversial deportations of hundreds of Roma last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened